06 August 2010

What Is a Spiritual Path?

Not so long ago I asked a friend - someone I know has a variety of spiritual connections - what she considered to be her spiritual path.   After some reflection, she responded that her art was her spiritual path. 

That conversation set me to thinking about the meaning of "spiritual path" as opposed to "spirituality."

I grew up in a Protestant family.  I went to church for many years, and had very moving spirtual experiences.  But, as I look back on that time, I know that it never felt like a path.  That is, I felt like I was either in or out; either connected to Christ and God, or not.  And in my conversations with Christian friends, and with folks who were evangelizing, that was usually the question: have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior?   If one had, then one went to heaven; if not, well, tough luck.  Rather than a path, it felt more like a fork in the road. 

The church I attended has grown from a rather small neighborhood church to a mini-megachurch in the years since then, so obviously what they are doing works for a lot of people.  It just left me feeling like there should be more - but I didn't have any idea what that "more" might be.

Though I was aware that one could mature emotionally and physically, and continue learning, I had no concept of the development of spiritual maturity. 

Years later I found the Sweet Medicine SunDance Path.  In this tradition, there are progressions of ceremonies and teachings for the development of spiritual (as well as emotional, physical, and mental) maturity.  I initially came in because some of the teachings were so immediately useful - but have stayed because it consistently helps me to see increasingly deeper things about myself, about life, about spirit; and gives me tools to grow with that.  It's incredibly rich and varied, and has this progression - which, in my experience, works.

As I reflected on the conversation with my friend, I realized that this progression, this growth path, is exactly what I missed in my earlier Christian experience. 

So, for me, there are 2 keys to "spiritual path": the connection to spirit, and a path for growth.

Now, with more knowledge and experience, I know that Christianity also provides this. Could I have found this at the church I attended early in life?  Not easily.  Had I wanted to become a minister, I might perhaps have found it in the education.  In an earlier era, I might have found it as a nun.  But my childhood church was more focused on building a cohesive community than on individual spiritual growth (beyond the necessary acceptance of Christ, of course).  It wasn't quite what I was looking for.

I was looking for what I needed: a spiritual path.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your provocative comments and questions. However, we will not post comments that are derogatory, defamatory, and/or uncivil.